Account security refers to the process of preventing and detecting unauthorized use of your game account. Account security techniques used to keep your computer secure.
This advice and guidelines applies to all accounts registered with Hi-Rez studios.
Preventing use means stopping unauthorized users from accessing any part of your computer system. Detecting helps you to determine whether or not someone attempted to break into your system, if they were successful, and what they may have done.
To keep your account secure means that you are doing a number of things to protect it:
- Keeping your Username and Password to yourself; never sharing your password with others, including Hi-rez Studios staff! ( A Member of Hi-Rez Studios will never ask for your password )
- Using good judgement on how you communicate in-game and out-of-game
- Protecting your computer system from being accessed by others (hacked)
- Protecting your computer system from viruses.
It is your responsibility to keep your account safe.
What are some quick things I can do to prevent someone from getting access to my computer's files?
Here are some quick prevention methods:
- Never leave your account logged in while you are not at your computer.
- Never give anyone access to your account without your authorization.
- Never hit the "remember password" option on the logon screen on a "Shared" computer.
- Never accept files from someone you do not know or do not fully trust.
- Never download programs from sources that do not have an address or some way of reaching a responsible party.
- Always have active virus scanning on your system with the most recent scanning files.
- Never give out your password to anyone.
- If you have a cable connection or DSL connection, you should consider getting firewall software for your computer.
- Be careful when giving out your ICQ number, Steam, AIM, Yahoo or MSN names.
You should NEVER go away from your computers (also known as "afk," for "away from keyboard") while your character is in the game world. People that play in game rooms should be especially careful of this -- even turning your back for a minute or dashing away while a "trusted friend" watches your game can have disastrous effects in some cases.
Additionally, if you play in game rooms, you should be especially careful of people that watch over your shoulder when you log into the game. It is possible that someone could watch you type your login name and password and then guess what it is. This could happen even if they don't see the actual characters you type.
You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account. You agree to notify Hi-Rez Studios immediately of any unauthorized use or theft of your account or any other breach of security (and to provide properly documented evidence as reasonably requested by Hi-Rez Studios. Hi-Rez Studios will not be liable for any loss that you may incur as a result of someone else using your password or account, either with or without your knowledge. However, you will be liable for losses incurred by Hi-Rez Studios or another party due to someone else using your account or password. You may not use anyone else's account at any time. Your membership is personal to you and you may not transfer or make available your account name and password to others. Any distribution by you of your account name and password may result in cancellation and banning of your access to Hi-Rez games without warning. In other words, if your friend logs on to your account and they do many acts that cause them to be kicked from our testing program, the responsibility is with the owner of the account.